View Single Post
Old 13-10-20, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Well, thanks folks, things are becoming a bit clearer. To summarize what I think is going on, the bit is worn on the upper right arm, alone if a Private, and above the chevrons ( and above the cavalry regimental arm badge) if an NCO. If a senior NCO, the bit would be worn above the crown on the lower right sleeve. Am I on the right track?

CB
SADDLERS. from memory, away from sources.

Sergeant: bit above ranking on upper right. Might also be on left.
Staff sergeant ........... it varied! Bit might be placed ON chevrons, with crown above, on upper right; alternatively bit above chevrons and below crown. Very rare and wrong: crown over chevrons, bit above, upper right.
QM Sergeant four chevrons point up, lower arm, possibly bit above/ 1915 to 1918 crown lower arm, possibly bit above/1918 onwards crown in wreath, certainly bit above, on right lower. I lose interest after mid 1920s so perhaps someone can add these details?

I have seen bit on both arms for the senior ranks but have not got access to my photographs at the moment.

NB: the chain of the bit dangles .... gravity! I have seen it in catalogues upside down.