Thread: 16th Lancers
View Single Post
Old 02-08-20, 08:41 AM

I think it is most important to actually attend the viewing session at the saleroom concerned before actually buying any lot these days, if this is simply not possible, obtain a condition report and better photographs of a particular lot, from the saleroom before bidding.
I very much doubt if Spink actually manufacture textiles themselves, notwithstanding, it is not in any way relevant or connected with the cap badge.
From the photographs of the bronze badge you show, I cannot see it being original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfenzy1 View Post
Firstly, thank you to everyone for your input. It is much appreciated. The badges came from 3 different sources. The Victorian crown I will be returning this morning for an exchange or refund. The kings crown O/R came in a batch bought at auction so I'm afraid I'm stuck with that one. I am disappointed that the kings crown service dress, if this is not original. When it was bought at auction I could not see the reverse as it was attached to a bow tie along with another Australian forces badge and a set of red cross medals all original in thier original boxes. The bow ties were manufactured by Spink London and had spink stamped on the silver pin. Only on removal of the bow tie did I find the gaunt plate. So it seems strange that someone would add it for it only to be stitched onto and hidden by a bow tie. The plate is definitely added and is not part of the casting. Is it possible it could be a collar used for this purpose or just an out and out fake ? Incidentally, the Australian badge and all the other medals it came with are definitely real.