View Single Post
Old 02-08-11, 08:04 AM

Default Waterloo Grammar School CCF

I was looking through a booklet "The Territorial and Auxilary Forces of West Lancashire Official Handbook " recently .The booklet is not dated but I think it dates from around 1949-50.

There is a list of CCF units in West Lancs and as well as the ones I expected to see there is mention of Waterloo Grammar School.The school was in Crosby,North Liverpool and closed many years ago. I contacted the archivist of the Old Boys Association to see if he had any information on the affiliation or badges of the unit but he was unable to help.

I have just checked in Rawlings and he lists a cloth title " Waterloo Grammar School/CCF " but no mention of the colours.

A Waterloo Grammar School CCF title is now on my wanted list

The only comprehensive source on the CCF insignia of units affiliated to a particular unit seems to be in one of a series of articles by the late Archer Parfitt on badges of the KSLI in the MHS Bulletins in the 1960`s-70`s.

There was a series of articles in The Formation Sign by Derrick Burney in the early 1990`s on the CCF which included a list of known CCF titles and their colours but no mention, as far as I can see, of Waterloo Grammar School.

If anyone has any information on the unit and its insignia I would be very pleased to hear.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”