View Single Post
Old 27-09-13, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

There was a lot of pressure put on Bondy to mark his badges, but I am not sure it ever had effect. And, he wasn't the only one making reproductions, but he at least was up front that his badges were reproductions. There were other individuals who acquired his badges and passed them on as originals. David mentioned the flat back bronze King's Own Rifles of Canada, which caught me a couple of years ago. The badge was in one of those multi dealer antique malls, and the vendor had a display case of badges. No one to answer questions, and the price was reasonable. It wasn't until I got it home and started comparing it that I identified it as bogus.
Phil commented (in another thread) that he thought Bondy only made limited numbers of badges. There are some that were produced more than others, the Lake Superior Scotish (error in spelling ) pattern being one. The proliferation of the CMHQ sterling badges is another example. Jim A provided an excellent image of a Newfoundland Highlanders badge of which he had suspicions. It is lited as a nickel plated, large size. It is for sale on the Bondy list.
Reviewing the Bondy list, I see several badges that really should be watched. The Kangaroo corps is likely another of the repros for 1 CACR , but which one? http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ighlight=Bondy
Hopefully new to the hobby collectors will pick up on the repro issues and stop buying the garbage that is out there.