Thread: Worth a punt?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-22, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the photos but they don't convince me that the badge was originally manufactured with the 'finer jeweller type hinge'.

I think both the badges shown have , at some point , been repaired/modified. The basic brass one looks to have had the lower 'catch' replaced and the plated one had the pin fitting replaced with a newer (jeweller hinge) one.

Lots of badges turn up with one or both attachments damaged , missing , or replaced this may be due to the fittings being badly brazed (?) making the attachment weak.

Both badges shown appear to have an 'oval footed' replacement which is not normally seen on these badges.

The other 'plated' examples I have seen :

1. Gaunt (jeweller hinge) - In post #1 , I think this was a basic badge that has been made to look like a more expensive plated one.

2. Gaunt (basic fitting) - On Sally Bosley's site (search 57891) , a nickel plated badge that could have been 'plated' any time after it was issued.

3. Described as "appears to be nickel plated as there's brass showing through on the bottom left corner" (basic fitting) - From an old post , no back view but angle of pin would indicate a basic fitting.

N.B - I am definitely not immediately assuming that these badges cannot have existed but I am just trying to find proof either way.

Tom Tulloch-Marshall's article (which was published in 2 parts in MHS Bulletins) was well researched including Ministry of Munitions files and yet made no mention of 'special' badges :

Quote:
The 1916 badge for women seems to have been produced as nothing but a plain brass stamping.
We really need to see more examples of the badge to expand our knowledge.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted