View Single Post
Old 07-05-21, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Regarding that Cameron, the rough reverse and the style of lugs and their placement very high up are red flags for me. Off hand, I don't recall any such badge being offered for sale as genuine by good dealers either. That face and those feet are quite laughable; hard to imagine being accepted by the regiment.
I would have to doubt that this badge could be discerned in old photos unless it was very close and clear indeed.
As always, none of this is empirical evidence, but....
CB
I realize that who is and who is not a respected or 'good dealer' has been challenged on here recently, primarily because a couple of the old guard / retiring dealers are now listing one or two fakes on their online platforms. This has been discussed in a number of recent threads.

However, quickly using the 'search' facility on some of the respected and erstwhile respected seller sites (not eBay), as well as two of the newer sellers, I quickly found that 5 of them have this particular Cameron Highlanders strike for sale. One of them is also a respected member of the Forum.

Of course that fact doesn’t make the badge right, we’ve already established that some respected dealers are perhaps now not as respected as they once were and I do agree he is one boozy looking saint, but certainly it is being listed.

Thinking about it, I now feel I saw this particular strike displayed at Fort George indicated as WW2, though of course memory does play tricks. Especially mine.
Mark

Last edited by dubaiguy; 07-05-21 at 07:05 PM.