View Single Post
Old 16-10-10, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
In the interests of historical accuracy I think you will find that AO 309 of October 1918 specified the crown and wreath for many WO II appointments: Master Gunner 3rd class [with gun], Artificer QM Sergeants [with crossed hammer and pincers], a goodly number of other QM Sgt appointments with appropriate horseshoe, crossed rifles etc] and all QMS of line infantry.

Incidentally, there were indeed two rank badges when the Sgt Major wore the crown: the WO Bandmaster badge incorporated the crown into a one-piece wreath lyre and crown.
[/I]

Thanks for that interesting snippet about the crown and wreath in Oct 1918 Grumpy. Can you post a copy of it at all? Until now I had thought that the badge was only reintroduced just before WW2 vis:

The Crown within a Wreath (Second Use 1938 - 1947) In Army Council Instruction 398 of 1938 the Crown in Laurel Wreath was allocated to Warrant Officers Class II on the introduction of Warrant Officer Class III who in turn were allocated the Crown to wear. (This rank was placed in suspension in 1940, technically however this still remains as a rank)

The Crown & Crown within a Wreath (Final Use 1947 onwards) This was to continue untill 1947 (A.C.I. 991 of 1947) when it was decided that Warrant Officers Class II graded as Quartermaster-Sergeants would revert to wearing the Crown in Laurel Wreath and all other Warrant Officers Class II and any remaining Warrant Officers Class III would wear the Crown.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I will scan and post and, if its not very legible, you can ask me for it email. No problem.