View Single Post
Old 14-03-18, 02:13 PM

Hello Mike,

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderfully interesting information here. That is very good of you.

It is funny because I had wondered about whether the other battalions in the 179th Bde also wore a rose at any point, and I had been pondering a 'speculative' post about it for a few days. The evidence you found about the 2/15th Bn is therefore most interesting. I take on board your point about the London Scottish though.

It may be stating the obvious, but it seems like there is some sort of a nod towards regimental history and tradition in the choice of colours for these patches (though there are inconsistencies). This notion, coupled with the colour of the rose for the Kensingtons, leads me to wonder whether they wore a grey pagri patch. I don't think it is unprecedented to use this colour, and after all, the 2/13th Bn did have seniority in the 'grey brigade'.
One thing I cannot get my head around though, is that if this were so, why didn't the London Scottish get assigned blue. Is the yellow meant to represent the Royal flag of Scotland or is it merely a caprice of the CO? Perhaps it is that as they were the "only battalion in Allenby's Army with a metal badge on the sun helmet", there was some deference given to the Civil Service Rifles on this score.

Using the same logic, one wonders if the 2/22nd and 2/24th Bns had red and blue pagri patches, though the 2/23rd Bn is also a contender for red.

All complete speculation, I know, but I think it is interesting to consider.

Many thanks again for the information.

Chris

Last edited by Drew; 16-03-18 at 07:23 AM.