View Single Post
Old 01-10-18, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Thanks Mike,

OK, so I might be wrong about the format- but I still don't understand why he is wearing a single AoS strip.

My point was that someone has fabricated a fake patch, and that we all need to take things at more than face value when purchasing.

Stephen.

PS- I suppose next someone will prove that Blu-tac did exist in 1944...or is it US Army chewing gum.
I think that as a generalisation, it was the practice for Infantrymen of any rank serving in an Inf Div HQ or in Divisional units (such as the Support/MG Bn) to wear a single Infantry AoS strip. However, this being the British Army other formations had other accepted practices - in some Inf Divs HQ staff or all ranks at Div HQ and Bde HQ level would wear a small patch - usually a simple piece of coloured felt - to indicate their membership of the HQ. This was the practice in 3 Inf Div, In other Inf Divs members of, for example, Fd Regts RA or Coys, R Signals would wear one, two or three AoS strips in order to indicate to which Inf Bde they were in support of. I have examples from 56 Inf Div Gunners and 61 Inf Div Signals. As always, the bottom line is "never say never"! Mike