View Single Post
Old 06-07-20, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
The two silver coins are almost certainly denarii of the emperor Severus Alexander AD 222-235.

The second from left is probably an Iron Age gold stater from the ?mid 1st c BC.
The Roman gold aureus at right is almost certainly late 1st c BC to late 1st c AD.

The identification so far is what I can see but If you could do a better detailed photograph. The inscription would be useful, although the obverse (heads) are quite diagnostic.

I will send you my email address so you can send me something a bit better.
Collecting military badges is my hobby but my day job is as a museum numismatist.

It would be useful if you had an idea where your Gt Gfather got them from.
If your GG was on the western front of the 1st WW - particularly the Somme area - that would fit perfectly.
Hi KLR, Thank you so much. I'll get some more detailed photos and if you can send your email address, I'll send them directly.

Unfortunately I only know so far as my Grandfather was definitely in the Royal Navy. I know my Great Grandfather on my paternal Grandmother's side was at war as he came back shell shocked but that must have been WW2. I'll try and dig into that some more.

Thanks again,

Raechel