View Single Post
Old 09-07-13, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Only the rank names change and not the rank itself. A private (with or without a chevron) is still a Private but may now (officially) be called a Guardsman, Trooper, Gunner, etc... Although the names have remained in use at the Regimental level all official documents had to use "Private". Only the RCA are affected at the Cpl/ MCpl level and they use the terms Bombardier and Master Bombardier. The only NCO rank term that changes is that of a WO in Foot Guards who will officially use "Colour Sergeant". 2Lt and Lt in Foot Guards regiments are called Ensigns.
I guess, being the good skeptical citizen I am, I was as concerned with what the Minister didn't say as I was with what he did. With all the headlines stating we were going back to pre-unification ranks, implying all titles and badges, and the Minister not being clear...it caused quite a discussion at work today. Sadly, but not surprisingly, my CWO and CO hadn't heard about this and the clerk had to show them the morning newspaper article.