View Single Post
Old 06-12-16, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Thought this may be of interest to some but also if anyone else can help with any information it would be appreciated,
Whilst searching for old images of badges I came across two Barracks that I had not heard of before which where situated in Everton, Liverpool.
The first is Rupert Lane Cavalry Barracks built c.1830
I have found ref to various units being based there (4th Dragoon Guards 1871, 7th Hussars 1875 and the 18th Hussars 1881) but not much else other than there was a Royal Lancs Artillery Militia Storehouse also within the site.
I believe that the barracks fell out of use in the late 19th C. and was converted to housing and by 1930 was demolished and turned into a recreation ground.
The R.L. Artillery Militia HQ moving to Seaforth Barracks about 1882 before it became the KLR Depot in 1910
I also found ref to an Infantry Barracks at St. Domingo House which was purchased by the Government with adjoining acreage about 1803 but was found to be unfit for purpose by 1813, I have found ref. that the 2nd Royal Lancs Militia had Storage at this site c.1870 though. I am hoping if anyone knows of any further use of St.Domingo House.
Another interesting search I found was on this site which does list the resident Bn's at Salford Infantry Barracks, Regent Road, where the 8th of Foot (KLR) spent a few tours. http://salford-infantry-barracks-regent-road.html
Cheers
Paul
It seems that before the Rupert Lane Cavalry barracks was built, one or two troops of cavalry were also based in St Domingo House. This was at a time when cavalry regiments were sent to a region and their sub-units (Troops) dispersed to various small barracks in the surrounding area to act in support of the civil powers, e.g. in 1807 the 4th Dragoon Guards had their HQ in Brook Rd Cavalry Bks, Birmingham, 1 Troop in Hulme Bks, Manchester, 1 Troop in St Domingo House, Liverpool, 2 Troops in Nottingham, 1 Troop in Chester, 1 Troop in Warrington and 1 Troop in Coventry. This was at a time of great industrial unrest and rioting with the mounted troops acting as police.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 06-12-16 at 03:01 PM.