View Single Post
Old 15-08-15, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Thought this may be of interest to some but also if anyone else can help with any information it would be appreciated,
Whilst searching for old images of badges I came across two Barracks that I had not heard of before which where situated in Everton, Liverpool.
The first is Rupert Lane Cavalry Barracks built c.1830
I have found ref to various units being based there (4th Dragoon Guards 1871, 7th Hussars 1875 and the 18th Hussars 1881) but not much else other than there was a Royal Lancs Artillery Militia Storehouse also within the site.
I believe that the barracks fell out of use in the late 19th C. and was converted to housing and by 1930 was demolished and turned into a recreation ground.
The R.L. Artillery Militia HQ moving to Seaforth Barracks about 1882 before it became the KLR Depot in 1910
I also found ref to an Infantry Barracks at St. Domingo House which was purchased by the Government with adjoining acreage about 1803 but was found to be unfit for purpose by 1813, I have found ref. that the 2nd Royal Lancs Militia had Storage at this site c.1870 though. I am hoping if anyone knows of any further use of St.Domingo House.
Another interesting search I found was on this site which does list the resident Bn's at Salford Infantry Barracks, Regent Road, where the 8th of Foot (KLR) spent a few tours. http://salford-infantry-barracks-regent-road.html
Cheers
Paul
Paul,

I spent many happy hours as a kid playing with my mates on Rupert Lane rec. If you went to the western side of it (the River Mersey side), there was a long drop (over a huge old sandstone wall) down onto Everton Terrace. The top of the wall was mounted with the usual dark green (Corporation colours) painted railings. If you went down onto Everton Terrace itself you could see that the wall stretched along the entire length of the western side of the rec. I remember thinking at the time that it was old, very old and was in all probability in situ long before the recreation ground itself. Your information about the Barracks is new to me. But looking at the photo/drawing I can easily picture in my mind the configuration of the road and the positioning of the rec. ground with its ornate entrance gate in the place of the barracks building.

I recently looked at Google maps and was dismayed to see that Rupert Lane and indeed Everton Terrace are no more. Both have been incorporated into the new (or not so new) Everton Park. Sorry not to have been able to give you any information about the Barracks as such, but it was an opportunity to let my mind wander back to the Liverpool of the 1950's and those always sunny, warm (or so it seemed) carefree days of my childhood.

Dave.