View Single Post
Old 20-08-19, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Chris

This is am example of the anodised, but not aluminium, cap badges that have been attributed as staybrite and consequently appeared in P Taylor's line-drawing pamphlet.

I have also had in my hands a couple of other OTC badges made in the same way. It's also the same as the anodised 5/6 Staffs TA badge (also not aluminium).

Alan
Hi Alan,

I would be surprised if they had been anodised as aluminium is the medium most associated with the anodic process. However, I may be wrong. Here is a good link to anodising and the metals used:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

The metals noted are not, apart form aluminium, those used in the badge making process. Zink is the exception and was commonly used in German combat and qualification awards from about 1943 to 1945 as other previously used metals were need for the war effort and zink was plentiful.

Getting back to your badge - it looks like a modern plated piece possibly over gilding metal, nickle silver, brass etc? However, looking at the lugs as an indication of manufacturer and date I would say it is possibly Firmin from A/A era with sweeping feet and round wire - see page 85, lug 2.1 of book.

Peter Taylors book is 'interesting' and many such badges such as the one you have may have ended up there.

The 5th/6th Battn Staffs TA badge was under contract to be manufactured in A/A but was knocked back quite a few times by the Garter King of Arms and the contract cancelled before any were made. Any such badge therefore made in A/A has to be viewed, in my opinion, as dubious although there are images on the forum of this badge being worn in material unknown.

A modern 'New Metal' CCF cap badge that was actually authorised by the Army Dress Committee (the only one I know either in A/A or 'New Metal') was the cap badge of the Bromsgrove School CCF. It is a quality piece made by Selcraft (UK) Limited of Malvern. It really is first class. Authorisation was in 1997 and purchase came from school funds hence no NSN/pattern No.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited by hagwalther; 20-08-19 at 10:09 PM.