View Single Post
Old 03-11-17, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinto View Post
Thanks Iain and Brent, for the pictures.

To muddy the waters, I have come across this picture in "Chronicles of the NZEF", Vol.III, No.30, dated 31 Oct 1917.

I cannot fit the caption names to the photo, there seems to be some kind of mismatch here and the band is obviously a brass band, not a pipe band.

However, the names may be useful if a matching photo turns up.
Regards,
John
John you right the picture in the "Chronicles of the NZEF" is indeed a “brass band, not a pipe band.”

Fortunately as mentioned in Post #4, I have a picture that was published in the Otago Witness on the 2nd January 1918, suggesting the photo would have been taken circa late 1917, so this one definitely shows the correct Sept/Oct 1917 Sling Camp Pipe band.

The photo I suspect is an early shot of the Otago pipe band prior to receiving their Scottish uniforms, and is helpful for identifying band members in the photo in Post #8, but not helpful for identifying Puks Aucklanders.

I have managed to identify the NZEF Main Body Pipe band in Post #4, the following photo was published in the Auckland Weekly News on the 10th June 1915.
It appears that Otago Regiment had a Pipe Band from the beginning to the end of the war.

The Otago Pipe Bands instruments became the property of the NZ Defence Department after the war and were kept so that Otago would always have a Regimental Pipe Band.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 03-11-17 at 11:31 PM.