View Single Post
Old 06-04-20, 06:42 PM

Andy,

I think this is a good original tunic, 1907 pattern ( I think the 1902 had detachable shoulder straps? The IWM website has some nice examples to compare). Whether the buttons and shoulder titles are original to the tunic is a moot point. Personally I like to handle such items if possible, check to see if buttons have been stitched on with modern thread etc, but as said, the tunic itself has the look of an original: dense woollen material, neat machine stitching (particularly the chain stitch around the button holes), wear in the right places, nicely made.

The repro tunics of this pattern made for WW1 reenactors never look 'quite right' - the colours are wrong and the (invariably cheap/thin) cloth material used in construction never matches the quality of the real things. I agree with Hawthorn - that makers label inside will help - if of course it's not faded beyond comprehension. I would contact the seller and ask for more detailed photos and whatever info he is prepared to share about it. Looking at his other offerings he seems to have an interest in Guards related items so you may well find a kindred spirit in him and hopefully a satisfactory purchase.

Good luck,

Richard.