View Single Post
Old 20-04-08, 07:27 PM

I dont know what the forum experts will say, but I have never seen any references to the actual numbers of hall marked silver Liverpool Pals produced other than the following.

To quote Graham Maddocks" The Liverpool Pals "

" Some confusion still exists as to who was actully presented with the silver badge.The intention was that only the original 3000 recruits should recive it and after that no more were to be issued under any circumstances.However it would appear that when Lord Derby raised the 4th City Battalion in November 1914 he presented its members also with the silver badge..."

Graham also said " The Liverpool Jewellers Elkington and Co were given the order for the silver badges and by early November, had several examples on display in the windows of their shop in Lord Street. Each was hallmarked, some with Chester Assay Office mark,but most with that of Birmingham.

I think that if this is the most information Graham was able to find during his researches ,it is unlikely that further information will come to light in the future ,so the simple answer is that it appears that approx. 4000 hall marked silver badges may have been produced and that the majority were hall marked Birmingham
P.B.

P.S. Now this is interesting, did Graham mean London and not Birmingham or perhaps if a later lot of badges were ordered for the 4th Battalion were they hall marked somewhere different to the original ones. Any thoughts welcome
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6324.jpg (50.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF6308.jpg (50.3 KB, 119 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 20-04-08 at 07:44 PM. Reason: pictures