View Single Post
Old 02-06-09, 03:19 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwetdude View Post
Hi,

I just received this cap badge from an Ebay seller...

(4,6 cm high) no maker's mark.

The only thing I found was on "Digger"... and it stated it was a Canadian regiment... not made from US born soldiers.

Can someone confirm or deny this?

If you can add more "meat" to my "bone" I'd appreciate.

Thanks

PS: It must be in the Charlton Press books??? Any idea of it's "real" value.
Don't have the full history with me, but as far as I am aware:- these units were made up of non-uk personnel living in the London area. They were referred to - to start with - as Kings Colonials. There were America, Africa, Canadian, Australian (and a version with Australasian) , New Zealand and Asian units + others such as King Edwards Horse. Both Coxs' and K&K's books have pictures of the badges in and a very brief summary.
After a while it was felt that the term 'Colonials' wasn't 'quite right' and they may have been absorbed into other units or changed their name...
There is a lot of controversy about authenticating these badges - I have a set which has been deemed by other forum members to be fake. I also have a single gilded version of the side cap badge which was bought from Bosleys some years ago - although it now appears that claiming Bosleys as a form of 'provenance' is a non starter as well. All in all, they are an interesting side of badge collecting.
The basic problem is getting hold of pictures of an absolute genuine set of badges. if you do have the genuine article, these normally 'retail' via Bosleys for 80-100UKP. If yours is a genuine gilded (i.e. officers) version I would have expected about twice that. Its not just the stamping of the badge that is an issue but
the lugs/mounting used as well. There are numerous comments on the forum about the lugs/feet etc. Sugest you do some searching... As mine were all judged
to be fakes they are sitting on the bottom of the English channel entertaining the fish...
Good luck.

Last edited by wright241; 02-06-09 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Omission