View Single Post
Old 02-06-20, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
You should be aware that ex-gunners have 'selective deafness' and tend to ignore critical comments but are always open to constructive teachings !
I have noticed this on a number occasions for many years!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
I also think the badge mentioned in your link
I find it strange that if there were 191 branches of the club (how many members ???) there is no evidence of them having their own 'spotter' badges.
Well, there is the collectiveone....for the National Association of Spotters Clubs

But I'm proposing that there MAY possibly have been a previous 'Spitfire' competency badge, issued by the former ROC Clubs during 1941/42, to indicate Master Observer status amongst members of their own organisation, and conceivably awarded by the ROC Clubs system to other Home Front civilians that attained (by examination) the same lofty level as they held.

As indicated via @Woofy's post, individuals such as ARP, ATC, Fire Wardens, Boy Scouts etc received rigorous training in aircraft recognition....the more I think about this, the more reasonable the suggestion that there was a Master Spotter Competency cloth badge issued by the ROC Clubs to recognise this, seems ever-more logical.

Annoyingly, the whole PDF online back-catalogue for 'Flight' (from the 1900s onwards, out of which lots of ROC information can be gleaned, which I will testify to) is now offline indefinitely, due to a planned future relaunch of Flight International (and a presumed relaunch of the entire present-day civil aviation sector, come to that)