View Single Post
Old 12-04-19, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Thank you Toby, the Blue Patrols is a bit baffling, is it a full dress or walking out uniform? would it be worn by a colour party, a Regimental band, at a Coronation?

Here is another recent buy, I have always liked badges with a story to tell, this one started out as an OSD Officers collar, at some point the loops were removed and a vertical shank was soldered on, that much is all fact.

These alterations could have been done at any time which is why I hate the current badge "repairing" epidemic which has destroyed so much history, IMHO.

However this alteration appears to have some age, so was it converted so an Officer could wear it on a pagri or a tin helmet or perhaps an other rank obtained it to replace a lost badge, I will never know but I am very happy to have it in my collection.

Rob
Once designated No1 Dress, what had previously been known as blue patrols became formally designated as ‘ceremonial dress’ for those in the Army outside the Household Division and King’s Troop RHA. At that point (from memory only, 1957), in the annually published ‘Army List’ each regiment’s version of No1 dress was listed under ‘full dress’ (replacing what had been described previously) for the first time, e.g. for RWF: blue with scarlet piping. However, it was also used as ‘optional’ Mess Dress for sergeants’ messes, and in officer pattern as the dress when duty Orderly Officer after Tattoo (6pm) and until Last Post (10pm).

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 12-04-19 at 03:24 PM.