View Single Post
Old 06-07-19, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
I agree that it’s confusing and I don’t know the answer with any certainty, any more than you do. As you rightly point out, the existence of such fine quality badges is a matter of undisputed fact that cannot be simply explained away and that is the crux of the issue. With that in mind, the evidence that Kipling and King found that the main badge to which you refer was that of a commissioned quartermaster is the best information that we have. Until it's properly researched by someone with some Guards knowledge going through the available records and photographic archives there’s not much more that can be said with any profit. Unfortunately the absence of any mention in dress regulations is not by itself significant, in that there have been numerous cases where what actually happened in regiments was not as per the regulations, e.g. the Black Watch choice of a plain Sphinx as it’s feather bonnet badge, or the bullion wire badge worn by RWF officers on the glengarry, both in contradiction of the regulations.
I take your point Toby.
Andy