View Single Post
Old 28-05-19, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

John

Many thanks for that. Very enlightening.

The 1903 date ties up exactly with the known hallmarked ones.

Interesting to note that the March 1909 date matches the change of regimental title of the from PWO to 19th (Queen Alexandra's Own Royal) Hussars in 1908 (although she had been Queen since the Coronation in 1902). I think it is Gaylor who dated the badge from 1902-10 based on the change of monarchs which is now shown to be an incorrect assumption.

There seems to be a discrepancy between Princess Alexandra becoming Queen in 1902 and the double scroll elephant badge with it's incorrect and obsolete PWO title in 1903.

Whilst there remains an absence of contemporary photos to show what was actually worn between 1903 and 1908, perhaps the incorrect title of PWO explains why the double scroll badge was not produced in large numbers? I am still searching for a photo of the regiment in anything other than a pill box hat and the Brodrick in particular would clinch it. I am leaning more and more to the theory that the collar was used in place of the incorrectly titled elephant badge far earlier than the sealed pattern of 1909.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 28-05-19 at 02:00 PM.