View Single Post
Old 19-03-20, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi Mike
I don't think that wing is South African, though not 100% sure. The SA cloth wings of this style had letters embroidered in red and the photographer wing had 'AP' above 'LF' on it, and it was also the only one which had a crown above it for some reason. Having said that, it is possible that the red embroidered examples were post war and there were different ones used during the war.
Maybe someone with better knowledge can comment.
Cheers,
Alex
Better Knowledge? I know that the posted wing is South African. The SA made types all had very distinctive qualities of manufacture and were usually backed with the same black mesh backing. Here is a photo of my South African collection as it was before I sold it off. Note the similarities in manufacture between the standard type, the red letter type, the aircrew wing as well as the pilots. First issue was like the AP wing posted above (in the pattern of the standard RAF wing) second issue was the Red Letter and third issue was the Red Letter Dual language (very late war).

Of the three pilots in the middle, the one on the left is SA made, the middle one Canadian made, and the right side is British Made
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0098.jpg (71.4 KB, 95 views)