View Single Post
Old 12-05-21, 05:11 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweed View Post
I have three of these example with voided crown and I would be interesting to get to the bottom of possible maker
Hi Tweed

The makers of English made Rising Suns has been discussed here several times.

As Ive said, have a look at the shapes of the voids at the end of the name scrolls and group you badges by this method.

Tiptaft did have at least 2 dies, one with no name on the back of the badge its self but a small 2 line stamping on the back of the slider and one with both the back of the badge stamped as part of the original badge in a curve on the flat section on the left side of the crown and also with the 2 line stamping on the slider as above.

I have 1 of each the one with the double naming is from a family member and comes with his medals and other badges etc.

I have 6 slirered Rising Suns in addition to the Tiptaft 2.and they are all different but all measure 61 or 2 mm across the longer name scroll.

I will list them as follows

1, Brass with the high sections rubbed, voided crown and slightly different shaped voids above the long scroll, domed badge.
2, Copper colour, voided crown, voids above the long name scroll not punched out, clipped slider, flat badge.
3, Copper colour, non voided crown, different shaped voids above the long scroll, flattish badge.
4, Copper colour, voided crown, 2 different shaped voids above long scroll, flat badge.
5. Blackened brass, non voided crown, matching quite large voids above the long scroll. domed badge.
6, Blackened brass, voided crown, irregular voids above long scroll, flat badge.

Tiptaft marked.
1,Blackened brass, non voided crown, regular matching voids above long scroll, flat badge. name stamped in 2 lines of very small lettering on the slider.
2,Family collection badge, blackened brass, non voided crown, flat badge, voids above long scroll as in above badge. naming Tiptaft to the flat rear section to the left of the slider and also stamped in 2 lines on the slider as above.

I also have 2 collar badges marked Tiptaft B'ham one in polished / rubbed brass, non voided crown and 2 small voids above the long scroll, the naming on the flats at the rear and either side of the crown and the other blackened brass , non voided crown, 2 small voids above the ends of the long scroll. Naming as above. About 38mm wide.

Shoulder titles.
1 Brass, curved as usual, 55mm wide across the 2 lower ends, name stamped in very small letters at the base of the T and R of Australia. 2 lugs.
2,Blackened brass, 54mm wide as above, naming as above.2 lugs.
3, Blackened brass, 54mmwide as above. naming as above, 2 lugs.

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Phil.

Last edited by Lancer 17; 12-05-21 at 06:19 AM.