View Single Post
Old 03-05-10, 09:35 AM
Former Member

5. I think we have established now..... that the White Metal or Brass "Thane of Fife" badge is not made for or worn by the 14th (FFY) Btn, The Black Watch. Only the "Thane" collar badge is worn by the Officers...... "possibly" FFY buttons by all ranks. The 14th (FFY) Btn was essentially "The Black Watch"...... and I would have a BW cap badge (Territorial Version) in an FFY collection to represent the "association" of the FFY to the BW.

Griff,
I don't know how after only a few post here on the Forum you can determine that the 14th Black Watch never wore the Brass badge, shown in "Scottish Regimental Badges 1793-1971" by W.H. and K.D. Bloomer. Page 44, badge number 284. To use a black and white photograph to gauge whether a badge is brass or whitemetal can never be positive!

To assume that they would have worn the regular Black Watch badge is also IMO jumping to conclusions. Many Yeomanry soldiers were attached to other units and as you have said (and backed with images) were required to wear some of that units insignia. The 14th Black Watch appear to have been raised during the First World War as a separate unit. It is not uncommon for such "War Raised" units to have their own badge (Pals Bns for example).. I have been very happy to use Bloomers books as an accurate guide on Scottish badges for many years and will do so until I see hard facts and not assumptions to prove them inaccurate. Just to throw a spanner in the works, they also picture (in B&W) a Copper badge (282) which differs quite a bit from the standard patterns.