View Single Post
Old 03-05-10, 06:47 AM
LYPAO Boff

Morning Alan

Ok, then...

1. The Corporal I referred to "has seen action in France" possibly with a different Regiment.... he certainly has "That look".

2. I concede that the brass badge in that picture is possibly a brass early "Pattern 1"....... I have yet to see a brass "Pattern 1" for sale?

3. We have established that the "White Metal Thane" was worn in Puggaries in Middle East Operations.

4. Camel Corps patches are worn on Pith Helmets...... and the "Thane" is worn on it also (see the camel lying down with pith helmet on its head picture.... and that is a dark badge possibly brass on the front of the helmet in the "V" of the cloth band). I would also say that the badge was worn on the opposite side to the patch in the Pith Helmet by use of the "slider" into the cloth band.... although it could have been worn in the front "V" of the cloth band more often than not? Also I have at least two Pith Helmets with what appear to be "Thane" collar badges in the red diamond on the Camel Corps patch (see pics below).

Some nice blow up pics from the photo album:-

5. I think we have established now..... that the White Metal or Brass "Thane of Fife" badge is not made for or worn by the 14th (FFY) Btn, The Black Watch. Only the "Thane" collar badge is worn by the Officers...... "possibly" FFY buttons by all ranks. The 14th (FFY) Btn was essentially "The Black Watch"...... and I would have a BW cap badge (Territorial Version) in an FFY collection to represent the "association" of the FFY to the BW.

BTW the FFY were with the Scots Horse, Lanarks & Ayreshire in the Middle East, hence the picture of the two Scots Horse Troopers in the photo album.

"A Yeoman from the Stalwart Rural Cavalry"
Lechyd da pob Cymro

Last edited by GriffMJ; 03-05-10 at 09:38 AM.