View Single Post
Old 21-04-21, 02:18 PM

Dear Members,

I have been corresponding with 3DG on the subject of King's Own Scottish Borderers WW1 GM (Gilded Metal) badges.

I undertook to research into this in depth and can conclude from documentary evidence: That. All Scottish Regiments badges were in WM (white metal) except that of the Royal Scots which was in 1915/16 made in GM. One can understand why as their normal badge was BM (Bi-Metal), the making of GM badges was nothing to do with the myth that there was a shortage of raw materials, it was down to what the War Office wanted, the only shortage of note were badge makers due to War enlistments of skilled men.

For general info the breakdown in 1916 of Infantry of the Line badges at the time were:
69 Regular Infantry of the line regiments with cap badges in the following metals: 11 in GM (this included the blackened KRRC), 18 in WM and 40 in BM.

I can also confirm the Brass/GM KOSB Cap badge on display in the Regimental Museum has this day been removed by the Archivist and Curator, simply because there was never an authorised KOSB WW1 GM badge made.

I hope members appreciate this information and help collectors now and in the future.

Best
Hiram