View Single Post
Old 05-12-16, 11:17 PM

I have just joined the forum and come across this thread, I served in the KOSB from 1965 to 1991, As mentioned it is true an assortment of different styles of the regimental cap badge were worn, being a family regiment, you had G.G. Grandfathers, Great Grandfathers, Grandfathers, Fathers and relatives cap badges being handed down to serving members now, there was great pride in this practice as you can understand. On silver badges not just officers wear them, Dress Regulation states that Warrant Officers are to wear silver badges fretted, there is also a SNCO's style cap badge, the Pipe & Drum Majors also wear silver cap badges, when I was RQMS they were wearing badges on loan from RHQ, which was a pain as I had to check that they were still in their position once a month and have new 1033 signed and return to RHQ once a month, using the authority in dress regulations I demanded the full warrant officers on the establishment 13 at the time and was issued 6 on an initial issue, bingo, once issued and accepted re-demands were legitimate without further justification required for the re-demand, that got ride of the loan badges. In 1969 we were rebadged, discarding the much disliked WD issue Lowland Brigade badge, all the badges issued to the battalion on the rebadging parade were, KOSB O/R's post 1902 KC WM, there are three versions of the same badge by different manufacturers. The size of the regiments badges do differ for a number of reasons, for example I have a small three lug, Lugs N, E & W, KC Blue helmet centre piece, this with the three lugs intact is rare, KOSB KC 1901 to 1903, the regiment discarded the helmets for the Kilmarnock Bonnet, therefore most of the N positioned lugs would have been removed to fit the cap badge on the Kilmarnock Bonnet, another rare badge I have, Ian Martin at the museum does not have one, it is an Officer's brass VC The Kings Own Borderers, with XXV just above the 'Dominus' scroll, with a 3 inch metal hinged slider on the back, a Puggaree badge, these were only worn for a short period of time by the regiment.
I hope some of this helps
Kind regards
Hiram

Last edited by Borderer; 05-12-16 at 11:22 PM.