View Single Post
Old 26-02-14, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Mike,

I am afraid I cannot help.
Once they leave the Regiment I do not continue to follow them or research them. Very sorry.

regards
If the following is true, perhaps you'll have to think again.
Mike

The 5th Battalion Battalion formed part of the British Expeditionary Force and in April 1940 went to France. After being involved in a major defence, the BEF went into retreat, a vast amount gathered on Dunkirk beach (codenamed "Operation Dynamo") where they joined other armed forces waiting to be evacuated by hundreds of little boats and ships. More than 330,000 soldiers were rescued and taken back to Britain. The 5th were evacuated, having suffered light casualties compared to the 2nd Manchesters. The evacuation began 26th May and ended on 4 June.
In November 1941 the 5th Battalion was redesignated 111 Regiment Royal Armoured Corps (The Manchester Regiment), November 1942 the Battalion became an armoured car regiment of 77 Division,
November 1943 reverted to its original infantry role as 5th Manchesters. In 1944, following Royal Guard duties at Balmoral, Battalion was posted to Malta November 1945 and remained there until November 1946 when the 5th was disbanded.