View Single Post
Old 17-07-14, 08:02 AM

HI Jibba Jabba,

Didn't mean to get off topic either but it does relate to WW1 Lincolnshire Regiment indeed.

Yes indeed the account in Simpsons History of the Lincolnshire Regiment has the 24th (Brandenburg) Regiment as attributing to the rapid fire of the defending Lincolnshire Regiment to machine gun fire. The Lincolns and South lancs gave a good account of themselves against no less than a Division of German troops

Max Hastings on page 209 writes 'although too much has been made of the rifleman's notional fifteen-rounds-a-minute capability. Any unit which sustained such a rate of fire would speedily have exhausted its ammunition.' I was noting this as an observation generally and not specifically to the 1st Lincolns and sorry if you thought I was. I think to be fair that the Lincolns on the 23rd August would have maintained a maximum rate of fire to beat off the initial German advance. They may have not been able to have sustained this with their ammunition supplies as they were engaged as a rearguard like the South Lancs for 3-4 hours. However, clearly the rate of well-aimed fire was devastating to the Germans.

All the best and a Swan-Necked Lincolnshire Regiment badge is still special if it only serves to remind us of the sacrifice of the British Army in 1914 in particular.

Dean