View Single Post
Old 26-05-10, 07:04 PM

Paddy

While I would not call myself an expert I do take an interest in the Regiment’s insignia.

Firstly, I think that you have a good cap star there, I would be happy to have it in my own personal collection.

Regarding whether it is an Officer’s or W/O’s badge that very much depends on its age. From the 1970’s until late in 2009 the same star was worn by Officers, W/O and Staff (referred to hereafter as "common pattern”). Prior to this W/O & Staff wore a different pattern where the central boss was far less raised that the officers pattern (a sample of this is below on the left dates from 1943). Your star has the raised boss so is either an Officers cap star (if pre 1970’s ) or a common pattern star if post that.

I find dating cap stars with out a hall mark or a makers mark very difficult to do. Although officer’s stars are issued the regiment frequently rejects them due to inferior quality) and they privately commission superior quality items on a frequent basis. Each time there are slight variations on the design. Added to this the diamond cut star (first used on the 1900 officer’s prototype star) has re-appeared from time to time and until recently at least there is no logic to its appearance and disappearance.

I do have at home a relatively good set of images of issue and privately commissioned stars from the 1970’s onwards and will see if anything looks close.

You have either an Officers pattern star (if pre 1970’s ) or a common pattern star if later than that.

Gary Gibbs may be able to help further, it was he that informed me that late 2009 Officers took into use a straight cut star versus the diamond cut (see below on the right this one dates from 2008) which had been worn by Officers W/O and Staff but the latter is now worn by W/O and staff .

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WO1943 STAR.jpg (45.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 2008 common pattern star.jpg (5.2 KB, 32 views)