Thread: Worth a punt?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-22, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I think, based upon the numbers extant, these badges were deliberately manufactured, they are certainly not repaired.
A precedent had already been set with the plated 1915 badges, I would assume to distinguish between a worker and a chargehand/manageress, so you end up with a badge of office/rank and a way to recognise a particular individual without initially knowing her name.
I have seen the 'finer jeweller type hinge' on other badges but have personally not seen it on other OWS 1916 badges , was it used by both Gaunt and Wylie ?

Sally Bosley's site has a Gaunt '1916 Munition Workers nickel plated trianglular badge' which has the basic pin fitting.

Regarding the "precedent" with the plated 1915 badges , I can find no information that these were specifically made/issued to identify the chargehand/manageress. Both “On War Service” Badges, 1914-19 The Official Issues by Ton Tulloch-Marshall and the later "British “On War Service” Badges 1914-1919" by Tony James make no mention at all about there being a different/special plated badge.

While there have been suggestions/theories there was also the idea that the letters on the 1915 badges were indicative of occupations (which they weren't) , as Tony James notes at the end of his article :

Quote:
So, nearly a hundred years on, there are still questions to be asked and research to be done.

PS. Is the plated badge you "snapped up" made by Gaunt or Wylie and can you post a photo ?

Poppy and British Legion Wanted