Thread: GvR Crowns
View Single Post
Old 27-08-21, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPC View Post
On reflection I now think the first GvC Crown is STAFF FOR ROYAL ENGINEER SERVICES and the second one is CORPS OF ARMY SCHOOLMASTERS.
The photo is pretty awful but both GvR cyphers look identical so unsure how you have arrived at that conclusion?

There are numerous examples of different units wearing badges of the same WO pattern e.g. QRWS v’s 22nd & 24th Bns London Regt and Kent Cyclists v’s West Kent Yeomanry. In such instances they are totally interchangeable and indistinguishable (unless you had provenance).

I would echo what Hoot and Tim have said. I think you are maybe trying stratify and add context to a couple badges in a collection which actually has neither.

Also I’d not put too much stock in posters. Every one I’ve ever seen contains either/both inaccuracies in badge designs or attributions. e.g. 36 - makes no mention design shown is NCOs and 135 - fails to mention Army Recruiters.

The size of the GvR badge is significant as is the fixings. They look large so amongst the myriad of others who used the royal cypher I would not yet totally rule out Norfolk Yeomanry (cap / pouch) without measurements or seeing the fittings.