View Single Post
Old 14-06-19, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Very interesting.
Is the WW II identification as QMSI because that is his known appointment?

I ask because when, in 1938, the new rank of WO III was authorised, all existing WO II, whatever their appointment, had to change to the 1919 RQMS crown/wreath Until the final abandonment of WOIII [1947 from memory] the RQMS was indistinguishable from a CSM [as indeed he had been from May 1915 to September 1918]

So I believe that the man in the photo might be a CSM Instructor or any other appointment open to a WO II ....... and this of course includes RQMS Instructor if such an appointment existed in the unit.

I would add that I have no detailed knowledge of School of Musketry or Small Arms School infrastructure.

Standing by to be educated.
You are correct, Grumpy, that in WW2 the SASC appointment shown was CSMI, and for the precise reason that you have outlined. It was not until after WW2, once the WO3’s had all been phased out that the appointment reverted to QMSI.

Very interesting to see the MGC badges in use in that manner. The fact that they are above his badge of appointment implies their use as a skill at arms badge. I’m unsure when the order was given to cease wearing crossed rifles below the appointment badge, and at what point the practice was resurrected.