View Single Post
Old 22-08-14, 02:42 PM

Thanks all for the responses.

Arthur, great info there, thank you.

Some more notes:
* SWA Command actually coexisted with the SWATF, although it seems to have been redesignated "SA Army Forces SWA" at some point in the '80s (possibly when the SWATF was established).
* Walvis Bay in the '80s existed as a Military Area in SWA, on a par with the 7 SWA sectors. Four of those sectors would become part of the SWATF, with 10, 20 and 70 remaining under SADF command (SWA Command). Of course the line between SWA Command and the SWATF (which was actually still very much part of the SADF) were not as clear on the ground as they were on paper. With Namibian independence, Walvis Bay MA lived on as the equivalent of a territorial command until the area was ceded to Namibia in Feb 1994, as far as I know.
* Northern Transvaal Command also disappeared with Transvaal Command around 1995/6 as far as I know. I am not sure if they were merged and continued as Gauteng Command or what the official continuity was there.

I think the change to Commands officially took place in Oct/Nov 1933 but it could have actually been effective 1934. Either way, it would be interesting to dig around to see what else happened at the same time.

Metal/"tupperware" shoulder flashes existed for the Commands of the time and cloth shoulder flashes for most before that but I don't know of any that wore shoulder titles. The beret badges were a late development.

The Union Government Gazettes make very interesting reading but it takes a LOT of time to browse through them to find the bits of interest.

Thanks again to all and please keep the info flowing.

Regards
Craig