View Single Post
Old 20-08-14, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigen View Post
Below that is a list of the early Military Districts. Was there any direct relationship between individual Military Areas and later Commands? Were there any distinctive insignia that were directly tied to any of the Military Areas, rather than to the component units?
There was certainly a direct relationship between the original military districts and the later commands.

In broad outline : there were originally (1913) about thirteen military districts, whose boundaries were adjusted from time to time. In 1926, they were reduced to six by means of amalgamations. In 1934, they were renamed 'commands' and given names instead of numbers. Names were changed from time to time, and new commands were created from time to time, by subdividing existing areas. They were discontinued in the late 1990s, when the SANDF went over to the joint services system.

The only distinctive insignia that I know of were the shoulder flashes, which were introduced in 1966, and cap badges which were introduced in the 1980s.

As far as lineage goes, I have some notes somewhere. If I can find them, I can post the details here.

Arthur