View Single Post
Old 10-04-21, 06:47 PM

The image was one I was sent to show the similarity of cleaver and knife. But thanks for pointing out where it actually came from.

The chap that's been helping us is a retired WW1 researcher from The National Archives, UK. His 'source' for the information about unapproved badges (as I quoted him earlier today) is - well - himself. This research was his life's work and he has been incredibly helpful and insightful.

I really do appreciate though, that here I am just posting a few images of my Grandfather's trade badge with no other context. Mark (our retired researcher) has had stories, further images, hand written postcards, medal indexes, enlisting dates and discharge dates of Tom Strutt (my Grandfather) and his peers.

What ties up from all the info that Mark has had access to - is that Tom and his peers were all in the Army Service Core, most of them, including Tom were enlisted on 28th Dec 1914 with a record range from S4/039700 to S4/039899. All these men went in on Short Service attestations and all were bakers, butchers or clerks.

He found a Dan Sinclair, out the same day as Tom Strutt. 4 Company 32 Divisional Train. Dan was also a Corporal - and also a butcher. You'll see him on an image I have attached here, with the handwritten names on the reverse.

I've attached a few more images to give a broader context of the ASC group that we are talking about. Make of them what you will. They're lovely interesting pictures anyway!

I would like to thank anyone who has looked at these images and given their opinion. I am no expert, but have been grateful for the help of one - who has shone a light on my Grandfather's role within the ASC and experience in WW1. I merely wanted to come back to this post that I initiated some weeks ago, about a mystery Trade Badge, in order to share what I had learnt - with you.

That's all. To share knowledge.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WW1 B.jpg (91.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg WW1 A.jpg (89.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg WW1 Ab.jpg (84.3 KB, 22 views)