View Single Post
Old 13-04-08, 03:05 PM

Paul

Most replacements and wounded sent from Nova Scotia or comming from France from Nova Scotia battalions ended up in the 17th, 26th and 40th Reserve Battalions but there are exceptions. Many of the Highland Brigade were given the option to go to France early if they wished. I have medals in my collection to A original 85th boy who landed in France with the 13th Battalion and another from the 193rd who went in with the 73rd both these men went in late in 1916, months before the 85th landed in France. The 73rd battalion fellow ended up with the 25th and was killed on May 3 1917. I have never been able to locate a photo of the 25th boys wearing anything other then the C/25 and the single peice maple leaf collars. The officers on the other hand I have mainly seen them wearing the G&S Co. collars with one exception who appears to be wearing a two peice badge and other ranks maple leaf collars. Unfortunately the photo is not I.D.ed but would date to at least 1916 as he is wearing Div. patches. I have looked at hundreds of photos of the battalion trying to nail down the specfic issue of badges. and have found some intresting photos.

One thing I have found odd is also the lack of photographs showing the wearing of shoulder titles I have a few of the officers wearing them but never seen the other ranks wearing them. There is two types that were issued the officers version seems to be the most common where as the other ranks less so. I have three different titles that came with groups or from the families. The first is a pair to a Lieut Patchell I found them in a antique shop in New Brunswick it also contained his badge, two sets of Div. patches, collars and dogtags. The second was to R.S.M. Frank Hinchcliffe M.C. I got his directly from the family His badge was the G&S co. single peice with the red backing i also have his shoulder titles a collar and a O.R.'s div. patch. His titles were the second type. Lastly I bought a D.C.M. group to a C.S.M. Harold L. Cassidy his group contained a Gaunt two peice badge and the officers version of the shoulder title. I did wonder why he had this title and could only find that he was sent to the U.K. for a commission but never received one till after he was discharged prehaps they may have issued thenm to cadets??

This is the reason I joined this forum as I would like to see other photographs and insigina I am not aware of.

Regards
Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25th officer and friend.JPG (47.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Officers shoulder title maker unknown.JPG (31.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Other ranks shoulder title maker unknown.JPG (41.5 KB, 7 views)