View Single Post
Old 26-06-22, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Hello,

I am seeking advice from those with the skills in photography.

I need to record my collection and the photos need to be suitable for reproducing in a book or catalogue and therefore no shadows and even lighting all over.

I have experimented in the past with tents and various types of flash but nothing really worked.

I see that there are now these shadow free light boxes such as this Light Tec one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Tec-P.../dp/B072JXMGS9

Has anyone used one of these, what are the results like and just as importantly would a Helmet Plate fit?

Any help gratefully received.

thanks

I have a similar problem, and while acknowledging scanners are OK for cloth, they are (in my limited experience) not up to standard for badges that are not completely flat - lugged, sliders to reverse etc.

Another major part of the equation is the form of camera. After numerous enquiries to those whose badge images I admire (may are contributors to this forum) - there is a confusing mix of digital cameras and mobile telephone recommendations.

I also have to find a background removal package I am totally happy with. I have not experimented much, but am told a background that completely contrasts with the badge is best to apply a removal package to. Someone suggested garish shades of green - that really contrast with the end result you are seeking with background removed.

I am a complete novice with photography, so will follow this thread with interest. One thought is the suggested light box appears a little over the top, but one appears necessary in most recommendations - but possibly cheaper. Of course I do not know how big the improvements may be with upgraded equipment - sometimes it could be relatively marginal perhaps - but a light box appears a must for consistency, although many people I have corresponded with say you simply can not beat natural light ...

Hoping this is helpful, and that we (the forum) can arrive at an optimal recommended system.

Mike