View Single Post
Old 03-06-22, 08:38 AM

Default White and Gold RN Cap Tally HMS St Vincent

As previously stated the reference to gold wire and rayon refers to the materials used for the lettering and has nothing to do with the colour of the cap ribbon itself. The ribbon was always black. The gold wire tally was used for No. 1 dress and was worn with a uniform with gold wire badges. The rayon (a form of nylon thread - originally silk thread was used) tally was worn with No. 2 dress where the uniform had red badges. A gold and silk/rayon tally continued to be issued to every rating until 1984.

I have a collection of tallies which go back to the late 19th century. I have never seen or found any reference to tallies with a white ribbon apart from those worn by ratings selected for promotion to officers during WWII - and they were plain white without a name.

The style of lettering is also unusual. It doesn't match the style used on any tallies from the 1860s onwards (when tally designs were standardised).

The only other option that I can think of is that it is one of the many variants of cap tallies from the late-19th and early-20th centuries that were designed to be worn with children's sailor suits. Although bearing a genuine ship's name and 'H.M.S.' the tallies were produced in various colours, although predominentlly black, and the ship's name was embroidered in a variety of styles. Sometimes coloured flags (white ensigns or union flags) were also embroidered onto the tally. Usually these tallies bore the name of battleships - and between 1910 and 1922 H.M.S. St. Vincent was a 'St. Vincent' class battleship.

I have no evidence to confirm the identity of your tally either way - i just put the various theories and evidence before you so that you can give them your consideration.

Pete
'It is upon the Navy, under the good providence of God, that the Wealth, Prosperity and Peace of these islands and of the Empire do mainly depend' - Preamble to the Articles of War in the reign of Charles II