View Single Post
Old 21-08-13, 03:28 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
No, not at all impressive, I have had several such berets to officers of both divisions and have been collecting 1st and 6th Airborne since a small boy, there was no internet and rather fewer fakes and forgeries in those days too.
I once owned one of Captain Hanson's berets, which was complete with it's very typical badge, it was just another officers beret and was not very impressive, it was really rather grubby, but, a perfectly normal beret of its day like all the others you see to officers of both divisions, like those in the Recce Corps, RAMC and Royal Signals etc.
All along time ago now, I should have kept it, with hindsight, solely on money grounds, but, as its owner was not British and as this particular unit was withdrawn from the 6th in May 1945 and I think was actually the first Canadian unit to return home, I decided to let my friend have it, now of course, as I said, I do regret that, perhaps I will get it back one day and sadly, no, digital cameras were not around back then.
Kind regards Frank

Hello Frank,

Perhaps not impressive to you but to myself and I’m sure other collectors, that would be a truly magnificent addition to any para collection. I have what I would consider a healthy collection of 1st Can Para stuff and war time dated para berets, but I have never seen one of these bullion 1st Can Para officer cap badges before, I have only heard about them.

If by chance in your travels you do come across another or even see the fellow who you sold yours to, please post it or send me a picture. It would truly make my day!

Cheers