View Single Post
Old 25-10-21, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
Hi all
I’m sure this is pretty common knowledge but im not sure of the answer.
Why do we see so many 2 & 3 tiered shoulder titles with parts missing.
Sure I get they have been damaged over the years but were Ts and numerals officially removed for some other reason?
If so, does this detract from the collector and in turn affect their value
Thanks in advance
BC
To the best of my knowledge (though happy to be corrected) it was first proposed to drop the 'T' and numeral from TF shoulder titles circa 1915. The Royal Fusiliers' titles in particular were considered to be 'impossible' in that they broke constantly, and were impractical in use when carrying a rifle over the shoulder. It was felt that no distinguishing marks other than the corps were required for shoulder titles.

The provision of shoulder titles at that time, and in their then-current form, was one of very large proportions, and the difficulty of supplies to meet the varied patterns and designs was almost impossible. It had already been arranged that for the maintenance of titles to those TF units overseas, units receive those of their corresponding regular regiments (regulars had at that time the abbreviated title of the regiment only - 'DORSET', 'BORDER', 'K.O.S.B'.' etc.)

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 25-10-21 at 09:16 AM.