View Single Post
Old 06-03-22, 06:08 PM

I know of at least one RAF Squadron and one ATC Squadron of WW2 who had lapel badges made up in silver, and gilt/enamel. The RAF Squadron (No. 34) had a black Wolf on its Squadron badge, and some members had a silver Wolfs head badge made locally in India whilst they were based there, and it was worn on the battledress pocket.

In the case of the ATC Squadron, (No. 492 (Hall Green & Sparkbrook) Squadron) they had a badge made of an Eagle carrying a torch on a bar carrying the number '492', in gilt and enamel, which was presented to cadets leaving the Squadron to join the RAF or FAA. I have one but it has no makers mark. It features on the current Squadron badge, but I don't know if the Squadron had a badge during the war and the emblem was taken from it or vice versa.

If it is what the note says, it might well be an unofficial Squadron badge to No. 144 Squadron. It doesn't relate to the Squadron badge, which carries a boars head, but they did operate in the Med area from Algeria, and that country has the Barbary macaque, so that might be a connection. Taking the emblem of a local sight as an unofficial pocket badge.