View Single Post
Old 24-12-21, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM View Post
I have received an e-mail from the Heritage Arms Society in Australia via the MHS site.

They are working on a research project to catalogue every available example of British Sea Service Cutlass, Cutlass Bayonets, Naval Pioneer Swords, Naval Machete’s, Lead Cutters and Single Sticks for cutlass training. They are attempting to capture and record in chronological order official patterns, experimental, transitional, and official conversions and then provide an illustrated table as a guide for collectors.

If anyone has an example they would be willing to photograph it would gratefully received

If so, they ask photograph examples at the highest resolution possible, against a white background and outside on a cloudy day. By providing photographs contributors authorise the Society to publish them in the finished work and future articles that will be published in their magazine “Barrels and Blades.”

If you would like to participate in the project do check out their website https://heritagearmssa.com/and make contact by email to heritage.arms.society@gmail.com.

A complimentary copy of the Society Monthly Magazine “Barrels and Blades” is at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vYm...ew?usp=sharing

The Society's members' interests include military and civilian arms and accoutrements over 100 years old, including firearms, edged weapons, medals, armour, helmets, uniforms, badges, and accoutrements etc. Based in Adelaide they have a global membership, hold virtual and physical meetings and publish a monthly magazine and endeavour to encourage and support member’s research activities.
Hi Cam

Hope you are well?

I'm not an expert at all on Naval weapons but remember when I was researching a lance that came into my collection, there was reference to a similar but slightly shorter one used on sailing ships, mainly for preventing boarders from getting across the gap between vessels. Will try and find out more, I did not know about these things but it made complete sense.

Regards
Brian