View Single Post
Old 09-02-21, 03:48 PM

Default A new member but a very old militaria collector.

Hi everyone, my name is John Lockton, if you attend any medal and militaria fairs you may have seen me, especially at those run by Mark Carter or Andrew Jukes over the last 5 years. I first collected medals when I found my grandfathers 50 years ago, since then I built up a good collection to the 17th Foot/Leicesters and continue to buy/sell in a hobby sort of way to this day.
During those 50 years I must have handled/owned hundreds, if not thousands of cap badges. I always passed them on to a dealer friend, and more recently gave them away with the mans medals when I sold them. I think I missed a trick as cap badge dealers often bought a set of medals off me stating the badge was worth more than the medals! I've started buying a few cap badges as I have always been interested in all aspects of militaria and need a affordable interest in these strange lockdown times . I can tell the obvious fakes and the obvious genuine ones but struggle with the large grey area in between. Medals are so much easier to spot the duds! I have posted a few times recently, and been grateful for your knowledge on one or two badges I have bought. I can't help you much on cap badges but I can help if you have a medal query, especially to the Leicesters as I have 50 years of medal rolls, pow rolls and various literature etc. I sold some of my collection a few years back and some is now in the regimental museum as there were some unique groups to the regiment .

Cheers

John