View Single Post
Old 17-03-18, 03:04 AM

The small square white over blue was worn in Italy in WW2. The white over blue circle Divisional Signals patch was also worn. From what research I have done (which was about 25 years ago) I think the square was a continuation of the type 3 patches but worn a little later and not replacing the Div Sigs patch. While I have seen photos of it being worn by 4 Bde Signals I have not seen anything to state it was official as far as I can remember. The 3rd photo you show of a NZ Corps of Signals headdress badge was not worn overseas by 2 NZ Div Signals. They wore the 2 Div Cap badge. They badge you show was worn by 1, 4 and 5 Divisional Signals in New Zealand. B Force may have worn it in Fiji early on, but I don't have access to all my notes.
I will ask Malcolm Thomas if he recalls the reason for the square signals patch. To date I don't recall seeing any collectors amendments to the patch system since Malcolm and I wrote the book, but there may well be information out with other members that conclusively shows details of the patches which differ from our research.
Attached is a copy of the page you refer to.
Rgds Quicksilver aka Cliff Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
I have got in my collection a Battledress Blouse badged toe a Major of the NZ Corps of Signals serving with the 2nd NZ Division. The NZ Corps of Signals sign stitched to the sleeve is a white over blue square, and this is somehow puzzling, since Divisional Troops in the 2nd NZ Division usually wore a circle (Cavalry, Engineers, Intelligence and so on). New Zealand Army Distinguishing Patches 1911-1991 by Malcolm Thomas and Cliff Lord maintains that the sign of the NZ Signals in the 2nd NZ Division was a blue and white circle, while it pictorially represents it as a white over blue square. I wonder whether the square could be the sign of the 4th NZ Brigade Signals, but I guess Signals would operate rather at a Divisional level. What's your advise, fellow collectors? Thank you in advance for your help!