View Single Post
Old 15-08-18, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlie63 View Post
Great info, thanks Brian. Material on SA Arty is hard to get hold of, although I have Ultima Ratio Regum and the histories of the CFA and THA.

I find collecting much more interesting when you know something about the units themselves, otherwise it's just a piece of metal.

Thanks Andrew, the DGA title must be hard to get hold of.

Cheers, Keith
Hi Keith

There are a few very good books relating to info on our artillery regiments and their mainly WW2 service, but they are getting hard and expensive to find these days. Hence my manuscript which has attempted to gather info, albeit snippets in some cases, on the many artillery units over the last 300 years or so.

Closer to home for me, the long overdue official history of the Natal Field Artillery was initially compiled years ago but due to certain disagreements between a few Wartime officers, was never published. However a few years ago the mantle was taken up by the late Ken Gillings, an ex RSM of the Regt. and he edited much of the original book and added post WW2 information. My small input was a few pictures of badges and medals for the book. The manuscript was sent for proof reading to a chap in Johannesburg. Sadly Ken passed away tragically 2 years ago, when he drowned whist on holiday. It now appears the project has ground to a halt without his driving force.

Regards
Brian