View Single Post
Old 02-02-17, 09:01 PM

Default Annandale paper manufacturers’ badge?

Hi Jon

Many thanks for your interesting suggestion about the paper makers. I managed to have a look in the Royal National Directory of Scotland (with map) 1915, which was jointly produced by Slater’s and Kelly’s, and Annandale & Son Limited are listed, in the trades section, as being at “Mill No. 28, Polton mills, Polton, Midlothian” (they are also under Lasswade in “Edinburghshire”). It’s certainly a possibility, though, if it was an ‘on war service’ badge for them, then I’d have expected it to give their full company name.

Anyhow, whilst I was looking at this directory, I looked up Annandale in the index, which referred me to p. 452 and “Annan” in “Dumfries-shire”. The commercial section of this has two entries containing the word ‘Annandale’: The Annandale Observer, which was the local newspaper, and the Annandale Steam Laundry. I think it unlikely that these would be behind the 1915 Annandale badge myself, which, for me, does leave the colliery.

Although the Annandale colliery wasn’t obviously listed in the directory, which I understand was near Kilmarnock, Caprington & Auchlochan Collieries Ltd, who apparently owned the Annandale pit, are listed on p. 1703. As an aside I believe there was, at one time, an Annandale brickworks, who stamped their bricks “Annandale”. In fact, it seems that this was on the site of the old Annandale colliery.

I have to say, I am favouring the colliery for the badge as the possible origin, though I do think more research would be needed. As I’ve decided to part with the badge, maybe some else will have the opportunity to do this? In any event, thank you again for taking the time to respond to this thread.

Best regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”