View Single Post
Old 17-03-21, 05:56 PM

Hi Billyh

As Dave says Ayrshire Constabulary wore the badge you show until 1975. Below is some more information on the subject you might find of interest (Dave - please chip in if I've got anything wrong).

The Scottish “National Pattern” cap badge (A) was introduced during the 1930s and gradually adopted by all but 4 of the existing forces (burgh/city/county) until 1975 when the regional forces were created by various mergers. Those that did not adopt it were:

1. Aberdeen City Police used the cap badge (C) c.1936 until 1975.

2. Ayrshire Constabulary wore the cap badge you have from 1901 until 1975, with chrome versions likely being brought in during the 1930s.

3. Lanarkshire Constabulary wore a double-headed eagle from 1907 until 1975, again with chrome versions likely being used from the 1930s.

4. Slips my mind at present, possibly Invernessshire Constabulary?

In 1975 all the territorial forces were merged into 8 regional forces (see below), adopting an updated version of the “national pattern” cap badge (B). For a period of about 10 years late 1990s-early 2000s(?) Tayside Police used an enamelled cap badge (D).

Central Scotland Police
Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary
Fife Constabulary
Grampian Police
Lothian and Borders Police
Northern Constabulary
Strathclyde Police
Tayside Police

In April 2013 the 8 regional forces plus the Scottish Police Services Authority, including the Scottish Crime and Drug Enforcement Agency, merged to form the Police Service of Scotland, with the cap badge (when visor caps are worn) remaining unchanged.

Caveat: the above is based on my understanding of the subject (I have left out officer's badges), I may be wrong on one or two points and am happy to be corrected if I am.

Hope this helps

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17Mar2021 002b.jpg (60.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 17Mar2021 006b.jpg (93.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 09Feb2021 003b.jpg (108.2 KB, 7 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.