View Single Post
Old 08-02-08, 08:05 AM

Here we go.......Have shown this B4 on other sites ,with no real conclusions.
3 5/8 inches high x 2 3/4 inches wide.
3 x longish & large Victorian style lugs on the back. With a Vic. Crown.
W/M Shamrocks on fully brass back,crown ,mottoe & letters in place,with the harp a separate item , all connected & attached with 9 wire pins.
Am informed it is not a 'known' (British)badge ,but has some similarities to known examples. Especially to Gaylor's pic of a short time used Liverpool Irish(post 1957)Piper's,that is a direct copy of the old Irish Rifle Vols. but item shown is solid ,all silver (WM) with ' IRV' in a circle above the harp & a different mottoe.
Expert oppinion says that this particular Boar's head harp was only LI but the mottoe on mine,'Quis Seperabit' ,though used by many Irish Regts,was not a known LI one.
This badge is a really old one,but am also informed that most Irish Regts did not have Pipe bands B4 1900, only Regt.Bands. (?) May be a bandsman's belt plate ?
OK. so we have a badge that shows cotradictions to the accepted 'norms' ,but I guess not all varieties are known, yet?
The suggestion has been made,that it may be a 'Colonial' (Canada ,NZ,Australia,SA,India) variation, so this is why I'm asking here. ??
I have this one & know of another also,sourced at a different time & location.
A long time puzzle !
Thanks for looking & hoping for answers !

Cheers !
Steve(NZ)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic403.JPG (90.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Pic404.JPG (91.5 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by dragonz18; 08-02-08 at 08:51 AM.